"Harnessing Big Data, Fostering Cultural Practices"
Nowadays, big data, algorithm and machine learning are increasingly becoming an integral part of our daily lives, including in our cultural life. Through digital medium, cultural products reach our hands mediated by algorithm supported by big data and machine learning. Data science, therefore, has become a part of everyday life considerations. We need to examine the extent of how data science is empowered in making cultural policies and cultural practices in society. What are the consequences should algorithm becomes the basis for culture? How do we develop a cultural strategy in an algorithmic age where everything is predictable?
Based on this consideration, this sub-theme will explore the following points:
- Best practices of using data science in cultural practices and cultural policy making
- The matter of data sovereignty and cultural independence in the age of algorithm
- Identifying actors and stakeholders that serves to accommodate the relation between science, technology and culture
- How should we envision the future by 2030 and steps to achieve the target?
- The expected role of IFAC in overseeing the realization of ideals about the role of data science in cultural practice and cultural policy making.